Most Viewed

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tips: What to do when you run of of hard drive space

Hey all, it's me, and I'm here writing to you today with some handy tips if your HDD/SSD gets filled up with well....junk! If this happened to you, you're not alone, because it just happened to me on my 13' MBA. I got really, really, really nervous? Why you ask? I do some heavy Photoshop work and need all the space I can get (you're probably thinking to your self, if he does heavy PS work, why the hell does he have a MBA)? The answer to that is because I just got into doing this heavy work only in the past 6-8 months or so. Anyway, back to tips. This problem can a cur to anyone. Download torrents, movies, songs, apps, trials, documents, and after a while, you're bound to fill up your and use all of your storage. External HDD's are nice, but after you back your data, you seem to say to your self: "I've backed up all my data, now do I just delete away on my laptop, or carry around both and only delete some stuff. Is the sky really blue? Or could it be white? Boy I could really go for some pizza right now." Don't worry, that happened to me (true story). I've got the solution with some tips for you to empty out that hard drive without wiping out your most important data!

Tips
1. Mac Users: Download MacKeeper, its an amazing software, and while it cost 38.99 for one user (59.99 for two users and 89.99 for three) it's an incredible piece of software I use every now and then. You can find and delete duplicate files, see what software is taking the most space on your hard drive and best off, keep your Mac clean! It can delete junk (you review it first of course) and remove any virus you may have. Good for a novice at tormenting and are very, very scared of the deep down world of torrent and the *dom dom DOM* Pirate Bay!
Price:$38.95, 59.99, 88.99

2. External HDD: Yes yes I know that you know, but still, this is a great option. Buy one for about 70 bucks, back up the whole computer, and just delete all the stuff you don't really use by may need for one day. As long as you don't misplace the drive, you're all good incase you every need the data again! (Don't lost that wire either, sad story behind that one for me... ;( )
Price:$39-$1000

3. Cloud, cloud, cloud: Something else you know about. Data gets stored in a hard drive wirelessly (AKA, The cloud) and you can access the data from anywhere you with an internet connection. While this is usually expensive for large amounts of data, it may be a good option for students or workers who only need to save 5-50GB of data. 
Price:Free-$100 (Dropbox, iCloud....)

If you would like me to give you tips on anything or have any questions what so ever on anything tech, drop me a comment below or shoot me an email at questionsallegrotechie@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment